Thursday, November 17, 2011

Getting Ready for The Foothills Trail

This Saturday, I plan on going on backpacking trip on a portion of the Foothills Trail.  This will be the first time I've done something like this.  Unfortunately, I have been unable to find anyone to do this with me so I will doing this by myself and, understandably, I am a bit nervous.  However, I need to start sometime somehow, so I might as well dive headfirst. 

Since I'm starting from scratch, I've had buy all new gear.  This has been both really frustrating yet oddly addicting.  It's been very annoying searching everywhere for decent gear that I can actually afford.  Backpacking gear is expensive!  I have looked at various online retailers and I think I've visited nearly every nearby outdoor recreation store from Traveler's Rest to Commerce, GA.  As frustrating as this is, I can't help myself but looking at reviews and specifications of the different pieces of gear I've considered.  I have almost everything but with only a couple days remaining, I'm still lacking a few key items.  One of these things I don't have yet is perhaps the most important thing of all.... my pack!  I think I've settled on one but I haven't bought it yet.  It seems to be the best combination of durability, weight, and price.  One thing I've learned while getting gear: weight is everything.  I've tried to be as lightweight as possible without going broke.  I certainly won't be doing what is called ultralight.  I'm simply not skilled enough, or have enough income, for that.  Regardless, it's coming together.

Anyway, the time to leave is almost here.  If nothing else, it will be nice to have a week off from work.  I would ask anyone that is reading this to pray for my safety and that I figure out what I'm doing.  Hopefully, I should have plenty of supplies and I'll be able to keep myself warm on those cold mornings and evenings.  It will be an interesting experience and I hope to learn much from it.  Maybe somehow the Lord will use my seclusion in nature to help me grow.  Let's see what happens.

2 comments:

  1. Best advice for someone new - practice at home. Cook a few meals with your stove. Set up your tent. Then take it down. Pack your bag. Unpack your bag, pack it again. Have fun out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dan, I appreciate the advice. I just got back and it was truly a learning experience. Now it's time to recover.

    ReplyDelete